Any foreigners who are above 18 years old and hold a valid work/dependant/student pass are allowed to drive in singapore with a foreign license less than 1 year.
All Singaporeans and Singapore permanent residents MUST have a valid Singapore driving license to drive in Singapore.
When do you need to convert your license?
You are required to convert your foreign driving license to a Singapore driving license if;
- You are going to reside in Singapore for a period of over 12 months.
- You are a valid work pass/permit holder for more than 6 months.
- You are a new Singapore PR or Citizen. You will need to apply for the conversion within 3 months of obtaining your new PR or Citizen status.
How do I convert my foreign driving license to a Singapore one?
Step 1: Pass your Singapore Basic Theory Test (BTT)
Register and create an account with either one of the 3 driving centres in Singapore listed below.
Singapore Safety Driving Centre
Address: 2 Woodlands Industrial Park E4, Singapore 757387
Telephone: 6482 6060
Bukit Batok Driving Centre
Address: 815 Bukit Batok West Ave 5, Singapore 659085
Telephone: 1800 666 8888
ComfortDelGro Driving Centre
Address: 205 Ubi Ave 4, Singapore 408805
Telephone: 6841 8900 / 6848 0617
You are required to pass your basic theory test in Singapore to convert your licence.
Foreign or overseas theory test results are inadmissible for consideration here in Singapore.
Step 2: Apply for your conversion!
You will need to apply at the Traffic Police Test Center counter located in any of the 3 driving centers listed above in person.
Do remember to bring the following documents required:
- Original and 1 photocopy of your travel document and your NRIC/employment pass/dependent pass/work permit/social visit pass;
- Original and 1 photocopy of your valid foreign driving license (Your foreign driving license must be obtained before the issuance of your Work /Dependant /Student Pass.);
- 1 matte finished, recent passport colour photograph of yourself with a white background.
- A non-refundable processing fee of $50 (only CashCard and NETS payment are accepted)
- If your foreign driving license is not in English, you must have one of these:
i. International driving permit (IDP); or
ii. Official translation of your foreign driving license in English by the respective Embassy, High Commission, or any one of Singapore registered translation companies. (Not required if your foreign license is issued by either Brunei, Indonesia or Malaysia.)
If your foreign driving license has no initial date of issue, you will need to obtain an extract of your foreign driving license record from the respective Licensing Authority.
Additional Requirements for Singapore Permanent Residents and Citizens
Proof of studies and employment for a period of over 1 year must be documented and shown. (tax returns or educational transcripts). A minimum of 6 months residence over a period of a year will also be required in the country.
Holders of expired foreign driving license are required to obtain an extract from relevant authorities abroad which includes date of foreign driving test passed, date of license issued, class of license, and your driving record.
Successful applicants should also receive their new converted license within 2 weeks of completing it.
- New Singapore driving license holders are subjected to a 1 year probation period. You are advised not to accumulate over 12 demerit points during this period. Doing so, your Singapore driving license may be revoked by the Traffic police. You are also required to display the Probational plate at both the front and back of your vehicle windscreens.
- For foreigners, your new Singapore driving license is valid 5 years from the date of issuance stated on the back of the driving license. You will be required to renew the license within a month of the license’s expiry.
- For Singapore Citizens and PR, the new Singapore Driving License will be valid for life and there will be no need for any renewal.